Saturday 25 October 2008

Trinkets (t minus 20)

When I moved into the flat, i pretty much went through everything i owned and got rid of stuff that i'd accumulated in my 30 years on the planet. And there was a lot of it. Now that i'm on the move, i'm having to do it again. This should really have been an easy thing to do, but it's far from it.

Not due to sentimentality or such like, that came during the initial get-rid when I moved out. No, this time it's a sense of just how much one person can acquire, and just how much things really mean to you.

Books, it turns out, are the biggest example of this. To the right of me, and in the living room, there's 11 piles of books stacked roughly 10 high. By my shoddy school-boy maths, that's 110 books. And those are the ones that i've decided that I don't really need. I've never read any Tom Clancy for about 5 years, so out they go. The book of Manics photos that i scoured the book shops for, that's going too.

And then there's titles there i've never even read. All piled up waiting on a journey to a charity shop, and ready for their new life as £1.50 specials in Oxfam. Had it not been for the lashing rain and howling winds today, they would have been there already.

Now, my library numbers about 40 books, which is more than a lot of people have, but it still looks funny. I can't take them all at once either, so I need to go through them all and decide which ones i'd really like to see sitting on a shelf in J's house. And then begins the restocking of the Mitchell collection...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It's your last day of work tomorrow! Huzzah! After that, it's on to a new life as my beloved house-husband!

And I'm going to make it worth your while, too! I will buy you frilly things and leave you a little pin money for bon-bons--just make sure my gin and tonic and slippers are waiting for me when I get home from work!

And in a few months when you're out earning money to buy me pretty things, you can return the favour!

Yaaaay! Have a great day!